Christmas in Mayersdorf.



Skiing at Mount Koralpe in Austria......In my case learning how to stay UP!!!




Today is the 30th of December, it is a Monday! But let’s rewind back to the Christmas celebrations :).  Last when I updated I mentioned a birthday celebration in Neuberg, turns out there was no snow πŸ˜ͺ nada. Ai fei. It was sad. But the birthday was good I met some more of the family and it’s so trippy how everyone just reminds me of my own family back home. Full of life and energy ahh this past week has made me a bit homesick I’m not gonna lie. They honestly remind me of my family in NZ.  I know mum spent Xmas with my uncle and family then my aunty went to Paeroa with my cousins so I really miss them.



Everywhere I have gone here I have enjoyed and learned something new.  Again I find myself incredibly lucky to be placed with my host family.  They are genuine people who want to learn about my culture and I them.  The children speak German in our interactions and I have to be honest its a challenge sometimes because I do not understand what they are saying and I really have to be patient and take the time to learn.



To date I have been to the mountains with my family, they have taken me to different places, I have spent time with my friends and now its the holidays and theres heaps to do still.  Its getting a tad bit cold so thats something to readjust too.  Guess What?  The other day I also saw a frozen lake, you know like the ones that you see in movies and the kids ice skate on?!! Ahhh I’ve never seen one in my LIFE and I finally got to see on in Neuberg!  That was amazing, I cant quite describe it but I feel like that ofomase kid who hasnt seen or been anwhere and every time I see something my jaw drops and I have to try and contain myself.





CHRISTMASSSSSSSSSSSS was beautiful mamma and pappa took me up the mountain sledging for the first time in my life.  Theres alot of first times for me here as you can imagine. Mamma wanted me to experience my first white xmas so we made the trip up to the apartment in mountains especially to show me the snow.  Again I was that ofomase kid (someone please translate ofomase😝.  Then we went home and we had a cute little celebration with just my host mum and dad here at home. We sang a few Christmas carols, had some tea and cookies and then sang one more song which was silent night. THEN I gifted my Taoga that my uncle sent from Niue. Straight from the rock of Polynesia πŸ€ͺ it was such a beautiful night though, just the three of us reminded me of my mum and  Nana Evo ❤️ which made it special because I miss mum and nan :).

Along with the Nafa mum and I purchased a panoramic book of special places in New Zealand beaches, caves, mountains, terrain,bush land and a special paleu from Niue.  A book that may entice them to come visit us in NZ one day when I return home.

Nafa Niue in Austria 2019.

Views of New Zealand.















The Nafa that came from Niue is significant to me because my uncle had taken special time to source it.  The Nafa is a traditional slit drum used in traditional chanting or when you perform the meke in Niue historically.  Local master composers in Niue use the nafa in chanting for specific ocassions.  I love the Nafa the sound of the Nafa is unique to Pasifika and each Island in the Pacific have a specific sound to the Nafa.  As our appreciation to my host family we chose the Nafa as part of our musical journey from this side of the world.  Connecting me to my family through our love of Music.  The Nafa was engraved with Niue's map on the top of it to remind my host family of me Anna when I leave.  Many thanks and gratitude to my Mokoia family in Niue for sponsoring my taoga.  Mamma and Pappa were fascinated with the map on top and how Niue is very small.  I also received presents from them, I got a football jersey, skiing pants which I got really excited about and heaps of chocolates. By the way yessss Chocolates are amazing here so goooddddd.  Sorry Whittakers but you got nothing on sweets here.

Austria Christmas with family 2019.

On the 25th we celebrated once again but with the whole family so the house was packed with little children ! We all sang Christmas Carols, drank some tea and ate cookies then opened some presents :) on the 26th We did the same! We drove up to the farm, where I met another one of my host mums kids. Her name is Sylvia :) she has three kids who are the most cutest girls ever! 



So full of energy and so loud ! 🀣🀦🏽‍♀️ HAHA but all in all it was awesome and amazing. It’s like The Christmas celebration is never ending here ! Then on the 27th we drove up to my host mums sisters house, her name is Barbara we had some cookies and tea once again and sang some songs with the family and opened presents ☺️πŸ‘‹πŸ»  I got to play the guitar abit and we sang Wise Man.  

Me on the Guitar.

I havent really been playing alot of guitar just finding my feet and taking the time to learn while I am with the family.  Theres alot of singing and the children too are very kean to learn new songs.  I have spent time teaching the children some Niuean songs that my Nena taught me so I have to take some more time to teach them some other stuff.

Add caption


We then returned to the mountains with the children.  My host mum took me up to her apartment in the mountains. Where there was guess.... SNOW! YAYAAAAAA LATA BO πŸ€£πŸ‘‹πŸ»IM MOVIN TO THE MOUNTAINS MUM HAHAHAHAHAHAHA but when I tell you it was cold, I meeeeean it was COLDDDDD the first night I was there it was -10 degrees in the morning 😳πŸ₯Ά talk about freeze my booty off aye 😀 the sun was out and it did get warmer and we went skiing! Well. The kids and mama did. Martin, who is Ingrids partner, gave me his skiing boots and said “come on. Try it” Oi aue. my face went 😳 I knew for a fact I was gonna embarrass myself, but Martin is a ski teacher so it made everything better for me☺️.

Martin is awesome he was the one that wore the All Blacks shirt when I first met him and my family in NZ was fascinated with his All Blacks shirt.  Also some of these pictures I have shared is from Martin's expensive camera.  Thank You for sharing with us Martin.   He made me walk around with the ski boots just so I can get the hang of them before I could try anything with the skis.  I was nervous and way out of my comfort zone and I knew I had to do or I would never hear the end of it from mum.

Eventually it got to the point where I tried on one ski, I had to kinda glide but walk and keep my balance at the same time. Skiing is basically balance stamina and those are the two things yuh girl lacks πŸ€£πŸ˜… I can hardly walk up and down my the stairs at home without either missing one or even falling UP on them 🀣.


Anwayyyy, after trying one ski on each side (right and left) I tried with both and nOpe, skiing is just not my thing 🀣 my balance is terrible I mean I was doing it kind of but every time I tried to glide I felt like I was gonna fall flat on my face. I have discovered you cant be good at everything but you have to be willing to give things a go.  We finished skiing πŸ˜‚ jokes, it was lunch time so we all went back to the apartment and had a big mealπŸ˜‹.

The second day up in the mountains I didn’t go skiing. In fact. I went out with my host dad 😁 he took me sight seeing ! We went to the heart of the city called Klagenfrut, Klagenfrut is the capital city of the southern Austria province of Corinthia it was about an hour and 40 minute drive from mount koraple πŸ€ͺ on the way to Klagenfrut we drove past a town called Griffen when I saw an old medevil castle, still standing. It was quite a bad photook But it was so amazing to see such a creation still standing after alllll these years ! 🏰


Soon enough we got to Klagenfrut and my host dad took me to a miniature museum which showed heaps of mini replicas of famous buildings like the Big Ben (there was cameras around so I didn’t take any photos) and there was even the eifel tower! 🀩 I was so amazed and happy when I saw a mini Marae which represented New Zealand ! I tried to take as many photos without getting caught so please enjoy πŸ˜‚.


After the museum, we took a bus into the heart of the city of Klagenfrut where my host dad showed me the statue of the dragon which is a big representation of Klagenfrut. Like how paeroa has the L&P bottle, Klagenfrut has the Dragon. And in the photo the dragon is being fought off by Hercules (says my host dad)

So! My host dad took me out to lunch where we had some pasta :) and I got to spend some one on one time with him.  I have to admit its tad bit weird because I dont live with my dad and he's so nice.  He reminds me of my uncle Muna and Eddie very family orientated.  We set off back to Mayersdorf where I am currently now writing my blog an eating my new favourite snacks ☺️ Tomorrow is New Year’s Eve and at 12 in the morning there will beans firework displays near by which I will talk and show in next weeks update!

Until next week have a good rest of the year see you all next year.  Happy new year everyone ❤️

Auf wiedersehen ! ❤️❤️πŸ‘‹πŸ»

Mutolu Kia

Anna





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Common Ancestor.

Taking on Vienna.

Bye New Zealand...Hello Austria...I am here...I am actually hereeee.