Taking on Vienna.






Flying the Niue Flag in Vienna, Austria January 2020.  Anna T on STS NZ Exchange Programme.


Hi family, hi blog followers friends and everyone who has taken the time to read my blog.  As promised here is this week's blog, sharing some of my experiences with you guys.  All is well on this side of the world, I am well and on the move.  

This weekend gone I went to Vienna as I mentioned in last weeks blog. I stayed with my host mum's sister, Sabina, and her beautiful family.   Before I talk about what I did I shall share with you how I got to Vienna ;).  Remembering I am only 15 years old yet to turn 16 on the otherside of the world living with a host family in Mayersdorf, Graz, Austria.

So on Thursday I went to school like every other day in Graz.  It was just an ordinary day (an ordinary week basically) and after school I walked over to a restaurant called Rudolphs where I had something to eat before my bus ride. Papa and I caught the tram to the Opera House where the bus stop was.  I caught my bus to the big city where I went on a mini Vienna adventure with my host family extended family.  The bus ride took 2 and a half hours and I spent the time admiring the scenery.  Usually I sleep on trips so I have been trying to stay awake as much as I can.

I arrived in the capital city of Austria, Vienna and lemme tell you, I may have not been able to see because it was dark, but the lights and buildings were just extraordinary.  The lights were incredible, I don't know what to compare it too.  Auckland has big lights but I wouldn't compare it to Auckland.  Vienna is huge.  Like hugeeeeeeeee, I cant believe I actually went to Vienna.  That was a pretty mad experience.  Some of best memories of my life to date and trust me I have traveled far.


When I arrived Sabina and her daughter Lola were waiting for me at the station, from there we walked back to their apartment which was just a few minutes away. They live in the shopping city area which is great cos I love shopping.  OMG this place called the Mariahilferstrasse is literally any girls paradise there is all sorts of shopping stores that goes to about 1.8km! It's the biggest shopping street in the city and has all the big BIGGG brands. However I didn't do any shopping until the next day.. hehehehe

Sabina is an artist and some of her artwork are in museums around Vienna.  Rob was born in America I think Boston but moved and lived in Austria.  They have two girls Lola and Mika.  Lola is the same age as me and Mika is 13 years old.



On Friday I went to school with Lola, shadowed her for the day.  I met a few of her friends and they all made conversation with me. It was nice connecting with new people and in all honesty they all reminded me of my friends back in NZ.  I miss my friends at home when I think of them.  But anyway, I didn't do much really I just sat back and listened and observed...Ohh and did you know they finish school at  12:45 like woahhhh imagine finishing school at lunch time at Hauraki Plains College.

After school Lola, a few of her friends and myself went to a restaurant to have some lunch. It was called Vaipiano, super fancy and so delicious omg.  I feel very fancy, young people get heaps of opportunities to go out and hang out with their mates I have learned.  In NZ i only get to go to LnP Cafe lol.  I had some pizza and some dessert which was just a brownie because I love chocolate brownies and I always keep things basic lol.  Below is a photo of my friends l-r Me Anna, Nora, Lola Natalie and Tati.  I had a great time with Lola and her friends.  Thank You Lola for sharing your Friday with me.

L-R Me Anna, Nora, Lola, Natalie and Tati.


After lunch we all parted and Lola and I went back to her house. We had a bit of a rest before we went back out again and guess where we went... yep the Mariahilferstrasse Shopping Centre, that huge shopping street I mentioned earlier. I think we were out for about two or three hours maybe less, but I bought a few things for the family annnnnd I may have over spent but you know what, YOLO (you only live once) yeeeeah my mother was not happy about that at ALL.  Sorry Mamma but I wanted to buy quality stuff for my cousins.

Anywho, after a bit of shopping with Lola and her friend Tati we returned to the family apartment and chilled and watched a movie on Netflix. From memory we watched Burlesque (AKA my favorite movie)

The next day which was Saturday if you didn't know, we all went out. Before I came to Vienna Mama and Sabina had already spoken and they wanted to take me sightseeing.  Mama and Papa wanted me to spend time with other young people my age so that I thought was very thoughtful of them.

On Saturday we  definitely went sightseeing. We walked through the Maria-Theresien-Platz and took a mean as photo with the statue of Maria-Theresa holding the NIUE flag. (Yep, yuh lil brown girl repped that flag in front of a bunch of people taking photos of the statue).  This flag is my Nena Evo's Table Tennis flag she use to take when she competed for Niue.  I took it to China in 2019 and mum packed it in my bag so that I could showcase Niue as well. 




Then we walked into the Kunsthistorisches Museum which showcases many displays of old artwork painted more than 200 years ago. It was absolutely amazing. And funny enough, If you know me well, you would know I am no artist or painter, but I was so mesmerized and amazed by the artwork I couldn't keep my eyes off them. There was so much history and such beautiful yet gruesome stories behind all the paintings which made it even better to look at and admire.  There is something special about Austrian Art work.  It is soothing and calming to the mind.  I quickly started feeling quite peaceful funny enough. (I sound like a weirdo but its true, they made me want to sleep).  Some of the art work was sad to look at but I took so much home with me from this experience.






After what seemed like 40 minutes we walked through the Hofburg Imperial Palace where I saw a cute horse carriage which had some tourists in it, it was pretty cool not gonna lie. Kinda felt like the olden days hahaha. Once we walked through the palace we made it to the other side where a bunch of other horse carriages were standing.



Next we walked down a street called Der Graben which was basically another shopping street however it was the expensive high end shopping. I'm talking about Gucci, Chanel, Louis Vuitton and all those other places. I was like dreaming just imagine having all the money in the world to be able to shop from stores like that cause bro...









So anyway, we took another photo with Nana Evo's beautiful table tennis Niue flag by another statue in Der Graben. It felt very nice to fly the flag a bit because nobody knows what the big yellow flag is you know hehehe.  So it was nice to be different.  This flag is special to me because it is a original Niue flag, not one you buy from the $2 shop.  These flags are hard to find now a days and I am very protective of it because it tells a story about nanna's love of table tennis.  It has traveled to other parts of the world with nana and now I love the idea of sharing a bit of Niue everywhere I go.


The highlight of the sightseeing on Saturday was visiting the St Stephens cathedral, it was soooooooo stunning. One of my goals I set for myself was to visit a big cathedral in the capital city and I got the opportunity to thanks to Sabina and her family (if your reading this Sabina, thank you very much for having me xo).



 We went inside and oh my goodness, I was just amazed. The architecture and designs on the ceilings and walls were just amazing, they all told a story and it made me feel thankful for having the opportunity to come to such an amazing country.   I got so emotional thinking about home, family, church, school and music.  I loved everything about the St Stephens cathedral. After a long day of sightseeing, we went back to the apartment and again finished the night with a movie :) This time we watched "Jumanji" the one with Kevin Hart hahaha.

So that was my week in Austria whilst on exchange.  To date I have learned a heap of things and  It was so fun, full of laughter and joy and ahhhh it was just wicked! I have made so many new memories and I cannot wait to print the photos out to post on my wall back home. I officially have fiveish weeks and I head home.  This week in NZ is first week back at school for many.  I am thinking of home and my friends.  It is also my first week in Year 11 and I am not home to share it with my friends.  But I look forward to getting among school life when I get back home.  This new week coming I have one presentation on Niue and NZ to do.

Also today marks the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. The former Nazi German concentration Camp of Auschwitz.  Its a rather touchy subject and one I do not feel comfortable about but know enough to feel a form of sadness.  Today I am cautious and mindful of what is going on around me. But I am hoping to take the opportunity to learn as much as I can.

I am also thinking of people in China who have been affected by the Coronavirus.  It is a sad time for them and we must all work together.  Pray and look out for one another.

So that is all from me for now.  If you are in Niue please say hello to my Nena Evo, Aunty Jenna and cousin Tiju.  Nena is having a holiday and sometimes I think of you Nena.  But I am well and this week I have more memories to make.

Next week the blog will be up again same time, have a good week everyone !

Ciao xoxoxoxox

Special Acknowledgement:

To Sabina, Rob, Lola and Mika, Fakaue Lahi (Thank You in Niue) for having me.  I will take with me many beautiful memories of my time spent with you.  I hope to one day return to spend more time with you Lola and Mika.  Please stay in touch when I return to NZ and do come and visit me in NZ sometime.






Comments

  1. Beautiful Journey Anna well deserved and experienced
    Mafola e Aho, Afiafi
    Kia Monuina stay Blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say thank you so much. Fakaue Lahi.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Common Ancestor.

Bye New Zealand...Hello Austria...I am here...I am actually hereeee.